Sunday, February 01, 2009

Tens of thousands depend on WMUB

I will not be able to attend the Tuesday afternoon forum concerning WMUB, but I wanted to express my opinion of the decision to close WMUB. When a Miami student decides on a major, as I did many years ago, there are maybe 500 students depending upon the department. They expect a funded department. Now there are many tens of thousands of people who are no less "students" who are "enrolled" in WMUB. They depend on WMUB for their continuing education. They also expect a funded department / station.

Now you might say that WVXU will continue that education. I have been recently listening to WVXU and looking at their schedule. Yes there are a few programs that would continue. But for the loyal WMUB students WVXU falls far short of what we have grown to expect. The quality of WVXU does not compare to WMUB.

Closing WMUB is throwing us out in the cold. The staff of WMUB is so outstanding I have formed a friendship with many of them. It has taken many years to assemble this staff. Even if WMUB can rise out of the ashes it would take several decades to again have such quality. Maybe, just maybe, you can reconsider such a disastrous decision.

Thank you for consideration,

--Donald, Dayton

2 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sad to hear about WMUB going away. I was a Board Op when I was a Miami student in the 80s and have been hooked on public radio ever since. I love NPR shows but there is no replacement for local radio. Miami and Oxford have lost yet another of the features that made them unique.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Matt Benzing said...

I am sad to hear that WMUB is closing. I worked as a board op there in the 80s and have been hooked on public radio ever since. I love NPR programs but there is no replacement for local radio. Miami University and the city of Oxford have lost yet another of those features that made them unique.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home