Monday, November 05, 2007

A big job to complete

1. Last year we began to learn of the financial problems with WMUB, but my friends and I thought the problem was solved when it was announced that the required money came in at the end of the year (2006). It became more clear that money problems existed when the spring fundraiser fell short of its goal. It repeated itself just recently.

2. What was not known, at least to people like me, was that the school has obviously set a specific or general date for increased funding from members so that the university amount appropriated would decrease.

3. This is the only conclusion to be reached by outsiders when we know that sale of the station is off the table-- AT PRESENT. A sale would be the logical result from failure to reach appropriate funding levels.

4. Since we know that current levels of listener funding, in conjunction with everything else, are not up to snuff, that is why the station is looking for other ways to operate. Somehow the funding levels must be met, and that may be derived from reduced operating expenditures and/or increased public participation with pledges.

5. The reason I hate to see that personally, even though it may be a real requirement from the perspective of the station, is that I like the way things are at present. At least they are acceptable to me and many others. For example, there is a reason why I listen to WMUB and not either WYSO or WDPR so much. So when certain operations are merged, it is likely that I will not only lose programs I like, but that I will gain programs I do not like so much. This is why it is so depressing to read that report.

6. As an aside, it would seem that I would listen to the jazz sub- channel, but I do not own an HD receiver, as opposed to the stand- alone radios. (In fact, I have not even seen one for sale.) Is there product available?

7. It is also curious that I seem to recall that the Mama Jazz Show pulled in the most money at one time for any given show, even though that may not be true now. This leads a few of us to wonder why her show is not even used to raise funds anymore. (We know that she is not live anymore.) But that is a side point, or is it?

8. Let's move on to the issue of guts. As long as the school is firm about the level of funding, someone must grapple with the issue of future programming because the current programming is not providing the necessary funds from listeners which is coupled with the situation of expenses being too high. The goal, then, is to make whatever changes that will probably resolve the above, because current programming is not doing the job.

So you and others have a big job to complete. My hope is that there is something significant for me to enjoy when it is all over.

--Grant Wadsworth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home