Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Can't tell you how upset I am

I can't tell you how upset I am about Miami University bailing on WMUB. We have been listeners for more than 30 years, and we have been donors most of those years. We have been day sponsors the last few years. Our daughter, who is now a law student at Indiana University, was brought up on WMUB and listens online from Bloomington because she thinks it is so much better than the I.U. station. She, too, is a donor.

Here is my question to you: I heard Miami's president say that donors could receive refunds on their current year donation. I DO NOT want my donation to go to Cincinnati's public radio station or any organization related to them. Without putting you in a difficult position, would you suggest I ask for a refund or just let the Cincinnati station have it? I will continue to support public radio, probably through my other station, WBST at Ball State University, so it's not a matter of just getting my money back.

I wonder if Miami University realizes how important WMUB is in spreading the word about the university. I know of at least two Miami graduates from Indiana who attended the college primarily because their parents were very big WMUB supporters. I doubt either family would have considered the college had they not been familiar with it through the radio station.

I am mad. I am hurt. And I don't want to provide financial support to an organization that is taking over WMUB. Any advice about this would be appreciated.

Good luck to you and all the other staffers whose lives are being disrupted by this misguided decision. Know that all of you have made many of our lives better because of the programming you have provided all these years.

--Dan, Hagerstown, IN

[Ed.: Miami has said that money paid on pledges made after July 1, 2008 will be refunded upon request. Money prior to July 2008 has been spent.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home