Thursday, August 21, 2008

Can I listen some other way?

I recently tried your experimental flash based player. It seems to work okay, but I'd like to get direct access to the mp3 stream so I can listen to it on another devices other than my desktop PC. Is there a way to do that?

--Peter, via email

[Program Director John Hingsbergen writes:

The level of streaming service we are paying for at the moment does not provide that option. It's a package that includes the Flash player. We'll be evaluating the usage as time goes by and consider the possibility of upgrading at a later time.

We just signed up with these folks this summer so we could make sure we are making all three streams available in a reliable format. It is still somewhat experimental for us.

I don't understand the technology all that well but I believe that by doing this via the flash player, it reduces the amount of bandwidth necessary and keeps our cost as low as possible.

We'll keep evaluating this service so please feel free to check in again. In the meantime, I will double-check with the provider and if I learn anything that might be helpful to you, I'll pass it along. One of the issues we raised with them is about access to the streams by mobile devices such as iPhones and they have identified a player for that purpose.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home